FAQ

About TMUC:

Yes, part of the power generated from cogeneration process is used for plant operations, while the rest are
exported to the grid.

Beside ash and process waste water, TMUC also handles industrial waste water from our petrochemical customers.

Ash is recycled into value-added products such as aggregates and blended cement for building and construction application, while waste water is treated to an acceptable limit for safe handling.

Business Impact:

This is the first large-scale integrated multi-utilities plant that provides not only multi-utilities to our customers, but also handles the waste they produce. This is also the first time that Tuas Power will be using Circulating Fluidised Bed technology, with biomass and coal as fuel on an industrial scale. The optimised and integrated processes provide one-stop solutions to meet customers’ utilities needs at a cost-competitive rate.

TMUC has been developed to meet our customer’s needs even before they come online. The key focus of Tembusu is to make the supply of utilities and services reliable and cost-competitive so that we can enable the clients to focus on their core businesses. TMUC aims to do that through:
(i) Multi-fuel strategy for energy security
(ii) Achieve high plant efficiency through cogeneration and process optimisation
(iii) Use of best available technology
(iv) Optimisation of processes and business interfaces

Mainly in three ways:
i) the simultaneous production of steam and electricity;
ii) part of the electricity generated from the cogeneration process is used for plant operations; and
iii) waste management by recycling the ashes into useful value-added products such as aggregates and building materials.

Environmental / Social Responsibility:

Fluidised beds suspend solid fuels on upward-blowing jets of air during the combustion process. This results in a turbulent mix of solids and gas. The process allows better chemical reactions and heat transfer to occur.
Cogeneration refers to the process of generating two or more major utilities within the same system. The utilities usually refer to power and heat (in the form of steam).
80% of the total useful energy from the BMCC plant will be in the form of steam, which is 900 tonnes per hour. The remaining 20% of useful energy will be converted to electricity and used internally or exported to the grid.